Clear skin doesn’t happen overnight. To help get blemish-free skin, you should follow a consistent skincare routine customized to your skin’s specific needs. Unfortunately, achieving clear skin can also come down to a few key factors that may be out of your control.
Genetics plays a big role in determining your skin type. If your skin is naturally prone to acne and other blemishes, you may need to put more effort into your skincare routine. Learning about your skin and how it responds to certain skincare products, ingredients, and routines is an essential part of achieving the type of skin you’re looking for.
During your day, your skin can come into contact with makeup, sweat, dirt, bacteria, and everyday grime. Prevent blemishes by cleansing your skin twice a day with an acne cleanser. Washing your face once in the morning and once again before you go to sleep can help wash away pore-clogging material on your skin. If you have oily skin, try an acne clarifying Witch Hazel Cleanser.
Use an exfoliating scrub two to three times a week to help clean out your pores and leave your skin feeling touchably smooth. Scrubs help to remove dead skin cells that can lead to clogged pores and help refine your skin.
Applying toner with salicylic acid after cleansing and exfoliating your skin can help you get clearer skin and reduce blemishes. Learn more about how to use toner by visiting our blog.
If stubborn blackheads are preventing you from a clear complexion, use a pore strip instead of picking at your skin! Pore strips safely remove blackheads by lifting pore plugs out of your skin. If you squeeze your pores to remove blackheads and acne, you can make your skin even worse by damaging your skin and leading to inflamed pores.
- Don’t Pick at Your Face: Picking may be tempting, but it can cause the pimple to get worse by allowing more bacteria into the hair follicle.
- Identify Your Skin Type: There are four general skin types: normal skin, dry skin, oily skin, and combination skin. Depending on your skin type, you may need to adjust your skincare routine. For example, oily skin types tend to need products that help reduce excess oil that can cause blackheads and other breakouts.
- Moisturize and Protect Your Skin Daily: Applying moisturizer and sunscreen will help your skin to look plump and hydrated while reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Carry Cleansing Cloths With You: If you find yourself on the go, cleansing cloths can remove dirt and impurities and help keep your skin oil-free. Cleansing cloths are great for a post-workout skin refresh if you play sports or go to the gym.
- Eat the Rainbow: Eating healthy with a full range of fruits and vegetables will help your skin glow from the inside out.
- Switch Out Your Pillowcase (More Often Than You Think!): Germs from your pillow can cause acne on your face while you sleep, so be sure to switch out your pillowcases often to remove acne-causing bacteria.
- Drink Lots of Water: Drinking plenty of water throughout the day can help your skin stay hydrated and keep your skin healthy from the inside out.
- Get Plenty of Sleep: Allow your skin to rest and refresh overnight by regularly getting plenty of sleep. While you sleep, your body recovers, and this includes your skin!
- Don’t Look for a Quick Fix: Your skin won’t become magically clear overnight, but try to stick with a consistent skincare routine. Finding the perfect routine for your skin may take some trial and error, so test out different products to see what works best for you.
- Talk to Your Dermatologist: Everyone deserves to be happy with their skin! If nothing seems to be working for your skin, talk to a dermatologist for expert advice.
- Use an acne cleanser twice a day to gently cleanse your skin and prevent breakouts.
- Exfoliate your skin two to three times a week to gently refine your skin and prevent dead skin cells from clogging your pores.
- Use a clay mask to help draw impurities out of your pores and deep clean.
- No matter how bad your skin looks, don’t squeeze your pores or pick at your skin! If you have blackheads, safely remove them with a pore strip.
- Keep your skin and body healthy by drinking lots of water, eating healthy food, and getting plenty of sleep.